Monday, March 5, 2012

Playing Pinata.


I kicked the kids outside this morning a few minutes before the bus was to roll into town.
I do this often. Usually, they are bouncing from wall to wall anxious to get going with their day.

I like to take these few minutes in a quiet house to do one last sweep. This morning I found Mood Goo stuck to the fridge door. I found underpants, inside out and ALMOST in the washer - ALMOST.

I found my coffee, still warm, next to the window I spontaneously windexed when I noticed that some-three-year-old-someone in Happy House (ahem) decided to practicing kissing techniques on it with cherry flavored chapstick. Awesome.

I found that when Declan told me he'd straighten the little couch cushions this morning - he really meant it and he really did his FIRST GRADE BEST. So I left the cushions askew as a reminder of his good deed.

And, as I glided through the house a cry came from the front path, where the children were waiting for me. "Don't go through the gate" I had said earlier. And they didn't. So they were roudy and rough-housing close by. In the mornings, they behave like pent-up cattle waiting to be released to greener pastures.

When I opened the door to see Nonie covered in tears and wailing, I asked her what happened.

"Decky hit me!" came the tears and sobs.

"What Mom? We were playing my new game called 'pinata'." Dec said with a face that became my brothers' of 20 years ago. Mischievous and innocent swirled into a grin.

"Playing pinata, huh?" Nonie crawled onto my lap as I tried to give Dec an out... "Okay Dec, tell me the rules of this one".

No comments:

Post a Comment