Sunday, November 18, 2012

Check the box

As I sat in the warmth of my home, lights on, TV and internet feeding us coverage of Super Storm Sandy, I thought what can I do to help? Looking fresh from a hot shower I looked around my apartment to the extra people we had staying with us and thought, "Oh I am doing something, I have sheltered a family", so "check the box" and order take out and let your (power) guilt subside.

  • Did I feel fortunate and lucky? check, check
  • Did it bother me that so many so close were still without power? Big Check
  • Did it bother me that people were cold, tired and hungry? BIGGER CHECK
  • Did it bother me that my daughter's school only raised 11K for the school secretary who lost her entire house in the Rockaways? Cheapskate check
  • Did I think how could I help, all my time away from work is spent with my children? Guilty Check
  • Did I read an inspirational email from a coworker who volunteered a day and made a difference in an 80 year old couple's life. INSPIRATIONAL CHECK
  • Did I rally my peeps in the spirit of Thanksgiving and this holiday season to give it true meaning. Boy does it feel Good Check
So we checked a mental box to feel better about ourselves, but what we could not help checking was the difference we made in a stranger's life. We started the day as seven wanna be do gooders, and we succeeded in doing good. We succeeded in clearing out a water logged basement that would make a horder proud. We succeeded in giving hope to a stranger who had hope swept out to sea. Dennis, barely knew our names, but he bear hugged us like family.

Photographer: Mugsy




1 comment:

  1. Lucky Dennis for having you all swept into his life. But luckier you for being able to help. You are good to the core, susie!

    ReplyDelete