Saturday, April 23, 2011

Looking Back on Beautiful Days.


I just got a really funny lump in the furthest point in the back of my throat

when I flipped through Dec's archives

and came across this:



And this excerpt from a letter below - which I wrote to Dec and called: "Today Was a Beautiful Day":


Dear Dec,

We played together from the start of the day until it ended.

We made lego tunnels for the speedy yellow and black wind-up cars and raced them all around the kitchen. We laughed when
they
"crashed and burned" and we

celebrated when they

made it through the tunnels AND mommy's legs.

After breakfast we danced to your music and you got so excited while you were dancing that you

kicked the fridge with bare feet and it made you cry and you snuggled in my arms and held onto
me
until you stopped crying.....

It was pretty silly of you to kick the fridge so we checked on it to
see if it had a boo boo and it did...

We went outside when it was almost time for daddy to come home and though I thought we were just
going out for a five minute check of the sunflowers and pumpkin patch - we ended up at the

lake.

That is where you wanted to go so I was your follower and you were my leader and with your
little
fishing
rod
you led me to the
lake.

Around downed trees, touching green green moss, listening to chipmunks along the trail.

I
heard you spell your name for the first time -

as
you scurried along the trail. It was like you

turned it into a little song. We saw a mouse that wasn't moving and figured either the skunk
cabbage (your guess) or a hawk (my guess) had gotten to it

You fished for a long time today.

It was windy and
cold.
You had shorts on and a winter coat.

We kicked your shoes and socks off so your feet
could dangle in the water. It was cold, you said,
but you kept them in the water anyway.

We caught grass
Then we caught more grass.
But -
no fish.

You asked where the swans were and I didn't know.
The geese were all around us but you
didn't really care about them. Just the swans.

No rain today, the weather man was wrong.


You are a very good boy.
I love you so much.
Today,
you asked me what love means and
I said it means
that your heart feels like it is singing.

Today my heart sang all day.

Because I was with you.

Love Mama
12. may. 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment