Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It Takes A Moment in a Mid-Town Hospital




There has been a lot that has made me cry in the last few days.

Not the least of which is a short visit to a Mid-Town Manhattan Hospital to see dad
recovering.

It takes about a minute (and not much more than that) in the waiting room of an NYC hospital to put your life into perspective. I'm talking about really big, eye-opening perspective. And also, changing my perspective to see simple, little things differently. Like Dec's lego men as he sees them. In his mind, his lego men are larger and more powerful than they are in my mind.

On Sunday, I had my own gentle reminder that if we were all to throw our most dreadful problems into a large pot, we'd quickly scoop our own problems back out after taking a silent glance at the problems that our neighbors had thrown in.

Sunday, and some days, it all comes down to perspective:

Like that picture up there. It is a proud mother (I know this because she is me). But when I look at that picture, all I see is the smiling 7-year old who took it. She might just be President of the United States of America some day and, won't that just be amazing. Or, she'll be an owner of a deli that serves the most delicious cider donuts you've ever tasted. Either way, I'll love her to the moon and back.

And this picture?

He begged for that helmet kiss. He did! (despite what his shoulders might try to tell you).

And this pic below? This is not a jealous 6-year old, blocking his 3-year-old sister's spotlight. It is a proud older brother saying:


BOOYAH SIS! NICE SKIING!!!!!
I can't wait to ski the trees with you!


Oh, and in there somewhere you might just spot one cute dad in the background. Yup, my hubs works OVERTIME teaching his beautiful children about "perspective" and seeing the world from more than one view.

And this guy?
He's not just a nutty Giants fan.




He's a nutty Giants fan in my winter coat.
And that is something special.

Booyah.


AND THIS? It is NOT a snowy day mess.
It is snowy day brilliance.


And this pajama dancer below, she may appear self-sufficient,






confident,
and full of independence.....

But she still needs her Mommy.
There is one person in this world who she trusts to tie her ballet slippers.


And that lucky person is me. And I savor each tie.


Boy do I.


And this pic below? This is not just "cooking a chicken with Nonie one afternoon...."
(first of all, we cooked two - one was for leftovers...)

This was actually an afternoon of listening to her ask me "will the chicken bite me?", each time she brought the salt and pepper close to the chicken's soft flesh.

And in this skiing pic? Nonie is actually saying GO FASTER MOM!!!! (despite what you might think, given that temps were 100 below outside)



See this kid below? When he gets off the school bus, he's actually NOT an "I Have a Headache Today and All I Really Want To Do is Lie Down along" 6-year old. He is (second to me) the most snuggliest cuddle bug in our whole family. This kid needs a hug. Most minutes of most days, he needs a hug.

This child could sit on my lap for decades (especially while looking out the back window at the forest and in the early morning , with a cup of Earl Grey tea in his hands).

And I love him. Tea Cup and all.

Boy Do I Love Him.


And this picture - a family of four happy snowmen?


This isn't three happy snowmen with one crazy-haired snowman (second from left) melting in a mid-January thaw.

Rather, it is three happy snowmen surrounding one awe-inspired, lucky as lucky gets, super-grateful woman who feels like - even if she melted into the ground tomorrow, she's been blessed with the best of the best.

It Takes A Moment in a Mid-Town Hospital to realize that
life is far to short to take this serious world too seriously.

It Takes Just a fleeting second in a Mid-Town Hospital to confirm that
I'm blessed with the best, in more ways than one.


To "Papa", to my Dad,
Thanks for accepting the spice drops
I brought to you this evening with the grace of Sweet Toothed Man.
I love you for that.
And for so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment