Monday, March 21, 2011

from the mouths of babes


Every week I give my kids a different share topic.
It's much more fun than watching them show something. Some of them bringing in video games, while others scramble in their backpack to try to keep up with the Joneses. Once in a while we'll have a "show share", but those are the exceptions, not the rules. I like to listen to them think.
This week I asked them, "What is your favorite part about coming to school". Five of them shared today. In case you were wondering, none of them mentioned me, I was upstaged.
But it's ok, because it was rightfully so.

One precious little pumpkin says she likes knowing she'll be greeted every morning. I gave myself a professional-high five, knowing that I emphasize this part of our day. It is so important to make everyone feel welcome, like we are happy you are here, and we notice when you're not.
I say this in my calmest voice as I talk over them while they squiggle and giggle during Morning Meeting.

After each sharer shares they take 3 questions or comments. One girl asked her "Well who is your best friend like who do you like to see?" I think you might know who she expected to be named but little peanut shocked us all, and I think
and I hope
that I'll never forget what she said.

"Well, I don't really have a best friend I just think of everyone as my second best friends"
and I thought, well that is so nice not to make anyone feel left out and what a great kid and look at that her two front teeth are gone clear out of her mouth and who's she going to call on next how much longer will this meeting take we've got to be next door in just a few minutes
"because God is my best friend."

Woah.
Hold up.

From the mouths of babes do we, or do we not, hear stunners.
Total stunners.

The thing was, she meant it. Completely, and with all of her heart, without hesitation. She blew me away.

So I watched her at recess. And I saw her running and playing, with second best friends, and I saw her zooming down slippery snow covered slides. And I thought how I don't think I've EVER seen this child upset. I've never seen her sad. I've never heard her complain or bicker. I've never seen her make a bad choice.
But I've seen her love and grow. And I've seen her do her work, play with her friends, answer questions in math and sing in music. I've seen her stand up for herself when she's been wronged and I've seen her rub her crying friend's back.

And as those images flashed through my head and she frolicked on the playground I thought, she could be one of the happiest people I've ever seen.

And I think she just gave away her secret.

I've got a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment