Thursday, April 19, 2012

I Tried for You.


Today Sweet Nonie,
I tried for you.

In a few years, you'll look back on this time and you'll think -
"I did everything on the sidelines of Declan's games...."

And you'll be right.
You did your reading. You hugged your Mama. You collected flowers.
You filled, happily I might add, countless hours of "down time" as Dec
learned to play Lax, Gaelic Football and Soccer....

Today, You even got up the nerve to yell at the 43 boys on the field decked
out in full lacrosse uniforms, "Craddle Boys! Now Craddle! Don't you hear the coaches yelling
to CRADDLE?"

But tonight, I gave you a bubble bath and warm dinner of ham, potatoes, and carrots.
We were going to read together while the boys lacrossed. I was giving you (ahem, and me)
a "night off" from sideline duty. At least, that was my Motherly Plan.

Then the text came through:
"Running late. Will meet you at lacrosse".

Did I mentioned that Nonie and I weren't going to Lacrosse today, Coach?

Suddenly, your peaceful eve was over.

My sweet girl was sidelined once again.

Or, in your assertive 3-year-old eyes, my sweet girl was suddenly appointed assistant coach. I can't really tell which:

"Craddle boys, now craddle... Don't you hear the coaches yelling to...."

No comments:

Post a Comment