Monday, March 23, 2009

jelly beans

I never do it. Now I know why.

I gave up candy for Lent this year. Not sweets or chocolates (that would be insane). It hasn't been so bad. The past few weeks I've been filling the void with cheese (monteray jack) and the like. Smooth sailin'.

But have you ever given a three hour long standardized assessment to 14 eight year olds? These are the days that candy was made for. I stared at my plate of skittles and starburst jelly beans (to give the children during their test, of course) and felt my will begin to break a little.

I moved the plate away from my desk - as if the walk over there would deter me. I set it right in front of my picture of Mater and basket of rosaries. By the end of the day, the plate was half full. Mater stared at me in disgust.





I am just thankful I was not in the mood for jelly beans.

1 comment: