Saturday, August 8, 2009

Grand People


Dec knows that his Granny Annie always has chocolate in her car. In fact, somehow, he learned how to spell M&Ms though, he'd never had one on my watch....

Nonie is quite certain that her Grandpa Cathal will do ANYTHING for her, including walk and walk and walk and walk with a hunched back until he can't see straight. Oh the back aches!

Dec has picked up some of Granny Tess' Irish adjectives referring to toy trucks and "luvely" and talking about having a "grand time" at the carnival. And the phrase: "Himself is being a scallywag..." actually means something to Himself.

While Nonie has sat on Papa's lap and heard him tell stories about her chest cold originating with long lost relatives and has viewed his baby book to compare images of Papa & Nonie at the same age. We now know where her double chin came from.

The kids spend so much time with their Grandparents that I'm not sure why I was caught off guard when Dec probed me today about who was going to join us at the Sherwood Island beach. When I said that Nonie and Daddy would be with us he fished around for another (grander) answer.

"I mean, which of my GRAND PEOPLE are going to be with us?"

***

How lucky I feel to be raising children who think it is odd to NOT have a grandparent in tow.

This is my dream come true.

Granny Tess, Grandpa, Granny Annie and Papa are indeed:



grand people.

No comments:

Post a Comment