Monday, January 17, 2011

He couldn't see.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

MLK,J


Friday morning, a second grade boy woke up to find that he couldn't find anything. He couldn't see. His parents rushed him to the hospital and by lunchtime the news his teacher got was actually nothing new at all. 


He couldn't see. 


I thought about him all weekend. I prayed for him every night and when I sunk my knees into the pew yesterday morning at church I prayed some more. 


It's nobody's fault. Of course. The teacher had been telling his mom, he looks pale, he's saying he's tired. But such is the life of a second grader sometimes, no? Growing pains, and things like that.

It's nobody's fault that, of course, that the news this morning was new. 


Leukemia. 


Just like that. 


His little brother moved around my classroom quietly this morning. His grandparent's, in school for grandparent's day, declared that they hadn't been expecting to come. 

Talk about not expecting something. 
............................................................................................................


Things get put into perspective really quickly sometimes. A trip to the doctor left me crying and agitated. Frustrated with myself and my body.

Let me just get home.


Oh, right. I can see. I am ok. This, too, shall pass. 


An email from a mom. Her daughter doesn't have anyone to dress alike with on twin day. She will bring another friend, from another school. OR ELSE. She won't come at all.


Can she see?
I want to ask. 

..........................................................................................................


It is hard, on a day like today, to be selfish. To even pity yourself at all. When great men have struggled and young children lay sick.


At our faculty meeting Father talked about the eyes of faith. 

For those time when you can't see the road ahead. And you don't know how long it is. Or if you'll make it at all. Those are the times when you have to believe.


You just have to. 


Because if you don't. Seriously. Then what?



No comments:

Post a Comment