Saturday, April 18, 2009

That Was Awesome


Her eyes peered out over the side of the red wagon.  They were shaded by the wide brim of her hat.  I was amazed by how content she was watching me and Dec garden.  We puttered around the front garden for an hour or so, removing the old growth and making room for the bright green sprouts.  Then feeling bored and tired, she started to fidget.

Dec sensed her boredom and responded immediately.  He went to her and placed her rattle back in her hands.   He asked me if he could take her for a "spin around the yard".

Before I said yes, he was off.  He pulled.  She giggled.  He pulled faster.  I returned to weeding.   

My thoughts were of: "wow, how helpful to have my 3-year old take care of my 7 month old...la la la... he's a big boy now.... la la la... happy spring .... good to be back in the garden".  

In retrospect, I should have paid more attention to what Dec was doing.  In retrospect, he definitely had an adventure planned.  I can't believe how quickly I returned to the soil, worms, and weeds.

Then it happened.  

I heard a rumble of wheels barreling down the hill.  My head turned and feet began to race toward the back yard.  I heard a shout of excitement from Dec.  A Nonie giggle followed.  He was racing behind the wagon, pushing it toward the hill.  He jumped in head first.  Nonie's big pink sun hat flapped in the wind. Dec's skinny legs dangled out the side of the wagon.  His head was no where in sight.  They raced down the hill together.

My heart skipped a beat.  She's only 7 months old!  She could fall!  He could have kicked her in the head jumping into the wagon!  They're on a crash course for the wheel barrow!

But then they roll to a stop.  Nonie is upright.  Her eyes are wider than ever.  They had just squeaked by the wheel barrow.  Dec gathered himself and  slithered down the side of the wagon.  He laughed as he turned to Nonie and said, "Hey, that was awesome!"

And it was. 

If I had seen Dec's crazy stunt coming, I would have tried to prevent it.  

If I had prevented it, I would have missed out on one of the most heartwarming moments I've experienced as a mother.


* About the photo: By the time I ran inside to get all things accessible to capture the moment (video, camera, etc) Nonie had fallen over and Dec had moved on to his bike.  The photo above is a quieter Dec & Nonie little red wagon moment (from January).

1 comment:

  1. i love them....just the first of MANY wild rides for nonie!

    ReplyDelete