Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Forward Movements & More Raisins

In an effort to encourage any sort of Forward Movement from dear Nonie, I left her on her belly for a wee bit longer than usual this morning.  This is hard to do.  She cries. She doesn't like it. 

Decky and I were 8 ft away in the kitchen and she wanted to be with us.  In a sing-song voice I encouraged her from the doorway between rooms.

"Just push yourself forward Nonie...if you really want to come, you have to learn how to do it on your own..."

Forward Movement demonstrated:
I got on all fours to show her how.  Dec got on all fours to show her how.  We crawled in circles around her.  Her crying quieted.  She didn't budge.

Dec returned to his bowl of Joe's O's (p.s. definitely don't taste like cheerios).  I returned to making my mug of tea.  A minute passed.  

Nonie cried. 
Harder cries. 
Louder cries.  

My heart cried.

All of a sudden Dec jumped forth to rescue her.  He broke before I did.  My heart smiled.  I grabbed his arm to stop him, knelt beside him and with an embrace gave him my most heartfelt speech:  
Oh sweet boy what a great big brother you are.  I know it is so hard to hear Nonie upset but if we don't give her a chance to crawl - she never will.  We just need to let her work at her Forward Movement and she will get frustrated with not being with us and this will motivate her to make Forward Movements.  If we always go to her she'll never...

"Mom, I'm just getting more raisins for my o's."  He opened the kitchen drawer with a snap.

And I?  I made very rapid Forward Movements.

To rescue my dear Nonie.  


No comments:

Post a Comment