Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We Are All Artists


Today, (out of nowhere) Dec asked me what colors you mix to make blue...

I hesitated.

He filled the empty space that hung between his question and my answer by telling me he'd check one of his art books because an artist wrote it and artists know what two colors make other colors.



We are all artists.
I interjected. You don't need to consult your books - I know enough to answer this one.



I continued: Nonie is an artist because she loves to make finger paintings using her applesauce and yogurt. Dec laughed and rolled his eyes. Looking at him I said: You are an artist when you make the most creative vehicles out of legos each morning. Then I realied, He wasn't really buying it - so I left the subject alone.

Later, over dinner, I found myself saying to Dame - if you had suggested we make a lasagna for dinner tonight I would have said that we didn't have the ingredients. The only lasagna ingredient I knew for certain we had was the box of lasagna from the depths of our cupboard which had not been opened in more than a year because we just never had all the proper lasagna ingredients.


But our babysitter was able to whip up the most incredible lasagna. Today. Out of what? I just don't know. We didn't have mozzarella, or ricotta - yet I taste both of those tastes when I bite into it.

Her incredible ability to create the most delicious meals out of ingredients I never knew existed in my very own kitchen - both amazes and inspires me.

I am an artist, but tonight I can't help but wonder how often I've had all the supplies I've needed to create a truly wonderful work of art and never even slowed down enough to notice the palette before me and consider my vast options.
***
In case Dec stumped you: blue is a primary color like red and yellow, there are no two colors that make blue. It just is.

No comments:

Post a Comment