Friday, February 19, 2010

And the Lady Bug Wins




Tonight I put the kids to bed and climbed into bed myself at 7:07. Friday night. Hubby is at his parent's prepping for a l-o-n-g day of school tomorrow. But, it didn't stick.

Nonie and Dec both bouncin' off the bedsheets come 7:32. Not Tired. I tell Dec to stay put while I take Nonie down for a re-fill. Of the milk variety. While the fridge is open I am reminded that I haven't given her an evening dose of her (much-hated) Amoxicillin (meds for pneumonia). Before I grab the milk jug, I hand her the bottle of meds (to keep her occupied during my 2 second journey to the kitchen counter).


Smart girls as she is, Nonie takes the liquid meds in her tiny hands and without hesitating, walks them to the door below the sink, opens the door and drops the meds in the garbage can. She shuts the door, turns around and clings to my kneecaps in anticipation of her bottle of milk. Tell me what you really think about those meds, Nonie?

Nestled deep within that tiny body and those compelling blue blue eyes - there is a strong-willed woman in there. I love to see glimpses of her. She offers only glimpses and I savor them as I can. For the time being, that strong-willed woman hidden deep within a 17-month old body would much rather play with ladybugs than take her meds.

And I can't blame her.


No comments:

Post a Comment