Monday, February 22, 2010

The good, the bad, and the ugly

In order to practice keeping things alive, some houseplants were purchased. You with you offspring might not remember the days when someone or something elses' livelihood being in your care was kind of a daunting thought.

Well, something needed to practice being alive in this place. Meet, Norma, Nama and Sprout. Your plants-in-law or something of the sort. Grandplants? Pleices and Plephews? I don't know.


They need water, and stuff like that. Sometimes we chat. Mostly about whether they (we) are getting enough sun.

Because I now know that I can dole out proper TLC, I think I know that I'm almost ready for a dog again.

Sometimes I think of getting a dog and want to throw my hands up in the air in defeat. There will never be another as sweet as my girl.

And sometimes I wonder how I can live without that kind of love and companionship. My heart has ached for it.

It almost makes me feel bad for saying things like "it's the end of the month, only the loser dogs will be left" as we drove to the humane society the other day. JUST to look. We torture ourselves monthly. But I feel ok saying things like that because I know someone will soon loves these dogs.But, I mean, I'm sorry, it won't be me.

Their tongues are too skinny.

Because the sun stays in the sky a little longer.
Because the birds are coming back for spring.
Because the plants are still alive.

I know that the winter blues are ending.

And the dog days of summer will be mine again.

No comments:

Post a Comment