Monday, June 6, 2011

Foe? Friend?

Today I ran. For the first time in some time. I ran. It wasn't pretty, but I did it.

I actually ran yesterday, too. But that doesn't count because it was about 20 minutes
in duration (sandwiched between Dec's game and The Hub's game) and it was all about
"getting back in time".

For the record I did:

...

Run.

And, get back in time.

***

For several weeks Dec and Nonie, The Hubs and I have noticed several holes in our lawn.
On special moments, when our backyard fills with excited "yelps!" the kids have spotted the chipmunk who built the holes scurrying back and forth between them.

"THERE HE IS!!!!!!"


"I SEE HIM! DO YOU SEEM HIM???? I SEE HIM!!!!!"


"OVER THERE, RIGHT THERE, no, RIGHT THERE!!!"


I've even had the privilege of making eye-contact with the Chipmeister.

He looks at me, cheeks full. Oh, so full.
We make eye contact and then he darts to the highest stone he can find.

HE STANDS on top of the stone as if declaring:

"This is My Yard, Back Off", and then darts to a hole and slips one full-story below us - in
a flash we're all wondering if he was real or not....

When I've made eye contact with that there Chipmeister - I've oft' thought:

My sunflowers this year are goners.
There is NO WAY they will withstand that cute, and cunning mammal.

I had flashbacks to the grand grey squirrels who rode my sunflowers in the breeze last summer - while nibbling on their sweet, sweet buds....

oh the horror.


So it surprised me today when:

***

I ran (literally, jogged) past a flattened chipmunk in the middle of the road just on the hill up by the lake and thought, "oh, no! is that MY chipmunk?"...

I actually felt my once puffed-out heart fall flat and lifeless alongside the flattened chipmeister...

That-there chipmunk may just be my foe

or rather,

my sweet & cunning friend.

It is bittersweet, this day is.

I'm sad to see him go.

But as, I watered the sunflowers this evening, all I could think was:

Live on, my sweet sunflowers. Live on.


No comments:

Post a Comment