Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cereal

Maybe this comes as no surprise to you, or maybe you just simply have no idea.

I love cereal.

I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Unsure of when this love affair started, I am tracing its roots back to Gray Rock Park Road. I can picture the wood cabinets taller than my seven year old self. Inside held cardboard boxes whose contents tasted not unlike their container. Nothing a few scoops of sugar to cover the top couldn't fix. Mmm!! Insantly the Cheerioes became hoops for my sugar to dance through, Rice Krispies popped the sweet sound of Snap! Crackle! Sugar!

We all marveled at Dad's routine habit of mixing cereals. What?!? Combining flavorless flavors? It's so odd, so grotesque. All through my years I stare slyly at people who combined their cereals. What will their reaction be when these two worlds collide in their mouth? Will they spit it back in the bowl?

I never really got it. Until I got it.

A gross box of cereal.

Now let me be true. I require at least two cereals in the rotation to switch back and forth to each morning. Part of my bedtime routine is getting excited about which kind I'll choose in the morning. But this cereal. I was not excited.
Turns out, I had just cooked up a batch of homemade granola - not skimping on the honey and brown sugar. I decided I'd give it a whirl as a "topping" on my wheat flakes.
Cereal.
On cereal.
I didn't even spit it out.
Matter of fact it was pretty darn good. I was sad to see the wheat flakes go.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm those don't look like wheat flakes, they look alarmingly like mini triscuit crackers. Are you certain they were wheat flakes? I think you might have grabbed the wrong box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was going to say....anything that large can't taste too great....i too enjoy cereal any time of day, my latest downfall has been only buying milk for xave, which means i have my flakes with some of the whole milk...delish, like ice cream and cereal!

    ReplyDelete