Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Globey


In our house, we have a pillow named Globey. It was given to us by our dear Auntie Claire so that we would never forget her. She lived in far away places like Brazil & Mozambique and we used Globey to track her whereabouts and teach Dec about geography. In due time, he came to know the continents, New England, the place where Colorado Tim lives, and other important facts like hot equators and vast blue oceans and Auntie Una's Emerald Isle.

At story time, Globey is the designated parent pillow. A soft compressible pillow that cradles our head as we read to the children. Each night Globey is under a head (either dame's or mine) as the tiny tired eyes and bodies of Dec & Nonie give way to sleep.

Tonight, Globey was used to point out a tiny island called Haiti. We learned that Haiti is close to Dec's familiar Florida, and small in comparison to the US. After he learned where this island was, he learned of the major catastrophe that struck it and its citizens yesterday.

Dec and I held Globey as I said (and he mumbled along to) the Our Father. A prayer for the people of Haiti.

With more than three hours of sleep, I pray now that Dec's dreams are of happier things. And I pray that when he and I wake tomorrow we see that some relief has gotten to where it is needed most.

Now, I am glued to the tv unable to comprehend how a country in such despair, could possibly cope with the devastation that was delivered to them yesterday. And then I find a quote from a Red Cross worker in Haiti that makes me understand:

"...Certainly, Haiti will survive, it has, you know, it's been unfortunately labeled as the poorest country in the western hemisphere for way too long. I remember my Haitian friend telling me that Haitians are "infinitely compressible" that is saying something about their resilience and their ability to survive and they are going to have to survive...."

Infinitely compressible.

Just like globey.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. We are blessed beyond measure. I pray for them and that we may find ways to give of ourselves for them.

    ReplyDelete