Thursday, January 28, 2010

"My Hands Are Full"


What a day. Where to begin? I still have the smell of vomit wafting from my wedding band as I type. 3 washes and still a faint smell. Not sure if I really care any more.

It started with the surprise snowstorm, which I immediately used as an excuse to keep Dec home from school. No delay, no cancellations --- but I heard the roads were terrible this morning. We wouldn't know. We were knee deep in closet organization and finding the ultimate comfy snowy day outfits to change into. All three of us.

Afternoon plans to spend magical time at Xave's quickly faded as Nonie's eyes grew glassier and glassier throughout the morning. By lunchtime I gave her some pain relief, recorded a temperature of 102 and carried on with the day.

By about 3pm we were ALL ready to burst out of Happy House. It just wasn't big enough for all of us. Nonie was restless and not comfortable in her own skin. Dec caught on to the fact that there was, in fact, school today (which he missed) and began to jump about as if to prove to me that he should've been there. We had to get out.

First though - a short work call during which I heard myself thinking, "what whiney kids in the background??? Oh! those two feverish kids who are bouncing off the walls!!!? Yup, they're with me." Apparently I forgot to clear my "grand plan" (of having them both quietly resting while I conducted the call) with their inner sleep schedules. Maybe next time.

So we went to Dec's school to drop something off and on a whim I grabbed his sled. Figured we'd drive about before pulling in - to let "feeling miserable Nonie" (sounds like a name of a toy doll huh?) fall asleep on the way there. Didn't happen. She fought every south-bound eyelash and reversed the force of gravity that seemed (at least to me, from my rearview view) to be tugging those lashes down to a restful state.

At the school Dec made tracks in untracked snow. And, I immediately thought to myself: Oh NO! I just let him go sledding in forbidden (during school hours) territory!!! How do I cover his tracks (my tracks!) OUR TRACKS ALL OUR TRACKS!!!! before the gaggle of students arrive in the morning and see that the prime sledding hill, can ACTUALLY BE USED (AND HAS BEEN USED!) for sledding!!!

We (I, with my tail between my legs for breaking school rules) wandered over to a GrandCathal and Nonie who were both miserable together in the parking lot. Cathal: so darn cold he was actually shivering. Nonie: so darn sick she was actually mean to him (typically she is the sweetest darn thing in his presence - she works that relationship good and hard).

GrandCathal pointed to the sky and said - another squall is coming, hope it isn't freezing rain. Best be going. So we jumped in the car. By the time we got 100 yards from the school - the torrential snow (is that possible) plummeted at us from the sky.

By the time we got to our road a wee 5 minutes later, it was pitch black and I couldn't see the front of my car, or the side of the road, or oncoming traffic, or any of that other useless stuff.

Noticed immediately that shoveling needed to be done and the safest and warmest place for Nonie was in the car while we tended to it. She sat and picked her nose while we shoveled (I peaked twice through the foggy windows at her and both times she was delighted in her runny nose). Dec started on the front porch - I took the driveway area.

Not too long into it I called to him, "Hey Murph! Can you get me the big red shovel - this little black one is too small and heavy".

He seemed so far away in these blizzard conditions. But I caught a glimpse of his blue jacket and his tiny plastic kid's snow shovel. Then I watched him steady himself on the slippery walkway stone.

His reply is what stopped me, "Don't you see my hands are full Mom? I can't pick up your shovel for you!"

And just like that I gasped on the tiny laugh (filled mostly with shock) that erupted from my belly. Did I just hear him right? What sass!

And so, I got what I deserved. Absolutely 100%.

For Dec, I'm certain, had heard me say that to him at least once this very week. Granted, and my memory of the statement is becoming vividly clear as I type this, the actual context of my "hands are full" remark to him was this:

Picture: Little Me. Carrying Nonie. WHILE carrying 4 reusable shopping bags filled with 6 seltzers, laundry detergent, 2 gallons of milk, 1 1/2 dozen eggs, and several other cans of refried beans and 4 loaves of bread. WHILE (at the very same time) carrying his LLBEAN school bag. And Nonie's diaper bag.

He asks me in full awareness of my heavy load, "can you open this juice box for me".

To which I replied (lovingly), "Dec, can't you see my hands are full? I will when I put your sissy and all this stuff down....".

And so, you're all thinking I deserved his comment aren't you? Aren't you? Well, you can think that....

Now, on to the vomitty ring.

Actually, I'll save that for next time.

1 comment: