Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Broken Wings and Things...Like Hope.



Back in the day when I used to wear shorts (that's for you T) and dated a cute guy with long hair and earrings (that's for you D: sometimes I miss the long hair, but not the earrings), I had the unique opportunity to set up Plover Exclosures.

Plover Exclosures. Try saying that 10 times fast.

Called exclosures because they exclude predators - but keep the good guys inside.

And my first time doing it I witnessed the best acting I've seen in all my life. The actress happened to be a tiny sand-colored bird.

The Plover Mama we'd been monitoring had finally laid eggs. We had to move quickly (four of us rangers) to set up fencing in just the right way, so as to allow Mama the freedom to come and go without allowing her predators to do the same.

The exclosure had to be set up in record time. If Mama Bird was off her eggs for too long they may sizzle in the sun, or she may abandon them all together.

Once the exclosure was installed, we were to watch Mama B through binoculars while hearts pounded. Will she or won't she go back to her eggs?

If Mama Bird didn't return to her nest the exclosure would be removed.

OH! The pressure!

***

The moment we arrived Mama Bird began her Oscar performance.

Her distraction displays - or efforts to make us all believe that she had a severely broken wing were instinctual, incredible, and borderline unbelievable.

She would dive bomb our heads (we were giants to her, and numbers were most definitely in our favor). Once she got our attention she'd throw herself on the ground and drag her wing behind her body.

Her antics continued: wing dragging and stumbling and desperately trying to lead the 4 of us away from her nest. She chirped madly the entire time.

"Take me, take me, TAKE ME! " came her heartfelt cry, "Leave my babies and take me".

And I realize now, she did this all to preserve Hope.

Hope was encased in eggshells and rested in her tiny clutch of eggs. Hope was cradled by a mound of sand. Hope was hidden so precariously within the huge tire tracks of over-sand-vehicles near the high water mark of this majestic south shore beach.

(Tire tracks never make good nurseries, Mama Bird. But tonight, I forgive you.)

In the name of Hope, I forgive you.

***

I recounted this story to a colleague today for the first time in about 7 years. Together we marveled (as we often do) about the incredible experiences and great fortunes we've had working in and for the natural world.

But with this Mama Bird story now fresh in my mind, I find I'm wondering what my distraction display will look like when it comes time to protect my nest.

I have no wing to drag. I have no fight song to chirp (except for "Hail to the Victors" however, that just doesn't seem to cut it).

But, I do know that if challenged -

I will offer up myself in order to preserve Hope.

My Hope.

For My babies.

Because some days, it is this Hope (My Hope For Them),

that is the only thing keeping me going.

1 comment:

  1. I was just telling Bri the other day how I had to stop traffic on Chappy so the plovers could play in the tire tracks.
    SO fun wathcing those cotton balls!

    ReplyDelete