Monday, May 2, 2011

Are we safe now?

I don't really follow politics. Or economics. Or fashion. Or current events at all, really.
I found out about the latest happenings, the death of a world leader,
on facebook this morning.
Who stays up late on Sundays anyway?
And I had just finished telling Mr. that the new living room arrangement is fine even though we can't directly see the tv from the kitchen anymore. And we'll survive even though the side table is only close to one of the couches.
We watch too much tv.
And we eat dinner in front of it.
It's not the configuration of the furniture that's a problem, my darling,
it's us.

But anyway,
I hear that someone has died, and many rejoice.
And I know I KNOW it is a proud day for our country.
And I know I KNOW and support all those who fight for the things I call my rights.
But I am also slightly sad to be a part of a nation that glorifies this.
Ok, so I did watch endless hours of the royal wedding. (Does that count as current events?)
And I wondered at how the British people came out to celebrate such an occasion.
And I wondered what the American people would unite to celebrate.

And today I know.
It's death.
And I know this man was harmful
And I know his motivations
his actions
(his life?)
deserved no support from me.

So do I celebrate the removal of his soul from my world?

Am I safe now?

No comments:

Post a Comment