Tuesday, May 31, 2011

the calm before, and after, the storm(s)

If you had to ask when I became such a worrier, I would have to tell you... I just don't know. I can't quite put my finger on it.
Maybe it was sometime during middle school. When I would hop in the passenger seat and let Emah drive me to school in silence. My head buried in some spelling list or super tricky vocab word. Poor Ems, I treated her like a chauffer. She spent her money buying me bagels in Armonk and I repayed her with veritable muteness and social awkwardness that far surpassed any sort of sisterly forgive-and-forget requirements.
Not too many years later I came down with some pandemic of back twitching spasm thrusting that has morphed, grown and recycled itself back to me over the years in many different ways. Can you even imagine how worried I was when I pictured myself jerking hither and fro while standing on the altar in my wedding gown, staring at my groom and having him wonder if I was, perhaps, having some sort of epileptic fit?  
Now I worry at the drop of a hat. It does not take all that much for me to see that the sky is falling. Pair that with being the slightest bit forgetful and you will find that the situation around me has often escalated to full blown panic before you even get out of bed in the morning.
It makes for some pretty exciting events around here. Buying a house? This has been fun! Just ask the Mr.
I've embraced being a worrier. I'd use it in the top 5 adjectives about myself. Maybe top 10 (depends who's asking).
But don't panic.
Please, stay calm.
It's the calm ones I use to spin around in my crazy circles.
Drake (one of the calm ones) lets me use him as a mobile hanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment