Sunday, May 8, 2011

When A Mother's Laugh Rings True.

The end of a good mother's day. I was offered tea and breakfast in bed. I was even wished a happy mothers day by both children without them having a reminder whispered in their ear. For some reason, this thoughtfulness stood out today.

We brunched with family in a cool new spot - blue blazers and khakis as far as the eye could see. We took a meandering stroll in the Res with two Grandpeople. I watched Dec score a goal "for me" on the soccer field. Equally as important, I snuggled with Nonie on the sidelines.

With less than 15 minutes until dinner was served, I created a new dessert with Nonie and Dec. It had butterscotch, dulce de leche, and german chocolate cookies as the top three ingredients. Mother's Day yum. Yum.

And finally, when the sun dipped below the horizon and the hubs began clearing the plates and glassware from our al fresco dinner - I strolled to the yard with the kids.

We quietly played our own game of "everyone's it" tag. We had three sets of bases, and I soon realized that Dec is almost as fast as me.

During a quick break, the sound of another mother's laugh came from the yard across the street.

What's that? asked Dec.

Oh, just a mom playing with her kids, I said. On Mother's Day, I added.

We continued our game.

At another break our heavy breathing gave way to sounds of another mom in the yard two houses toward the lake shouting to her kids at the swing set. Before long, we could hear the loud squeaks of the swings and we knew she was swaying along with her kids. Her laughter relayed this message quite quickly.

Before too much longer we could hear another mom closer to the forest. She was out tidying up her garden with her wee ones. She laughed then shrieked when they sprayed the hose too close to her shoes.

***

Tonight I found myself inexplicably in the midst of the magic of mother's day.
A day I typically chalk up to being just another hallmark holiday. Mother's Day moments are magical indeed, but aren't limited to one calendar day a year.

This evening I stepped away from the confines of our house and my post-dinner responsibilities. I gravitated to our yard and bee lined for our swing set, while the hubs bellied up to a large soapy sink and gravy-filled pots. And this phenomenon was happening up and down our road.

In the fading daylight hours, our quiet street came to life with mothers outside playing with their kids.

And I was reminded that:

Nonie and Dec love it most when I run, skip, sing, laugh, slide, sway,

and PLAY beside them.

On this day they loved their mother because she was playful, fun, silly, unpredictable and FREE

When A Mother's Laugh Rings True...

this is the way Mother's Day should always be (and this year it transpired as if on cue).

No comments:

Post a Comment