Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sleep Nonie Sleep.



Sweet Nonie has graduated from crib to bed. 1/2 a bed actually, but more on that later.

Ever since the bed migration (3 nights ago), I've had the distinct honor of lying with her until she falls asleep. A bad habit, I'm the first to admit it. But given that Sweet Nonie no longer drinks from the yellow bottle that was an extension of her right hand for 8 months straight - I'm betting we'll be able to nip this habit too.

Tossing and turning doesn't really come close to describing what Nonie does before falling asleep. I'm amazed and intrigued.

I thought I knew her. But now I'm not so sure.

She thrashes about. Blanket surfing. Kicks my chin. Bangs her head on the bed.
Over and over and over.

But always, when in need of a break from the antics, she'll find me.

In the dark she'll give my inner arm a quick swipe. Or she'll swing her head close to mine and breathe milk breath into my face. Sometimes, once she's made contact she'll let out a squeal. Her actions are fleeting and make me realize how primitive humans are. She's comforted by the closeness and senses when I've moved a mere inches away. Mother monkey.

Tonight, despite how cute she was - I contemplated giving up. Could she be nocturnal? I wondered.

But then she found her nose. And her nose seemed to calm her (picking it). Suddenly, she's occupied - pinching into her nose with her thumb. She gets into a routine. Pick. Roll around. Pick. Roll around. Pick. Pick. Roll all around. Pick.

Pick pick pick.

Then in an instant she's doing this...

...and I have wet boogers on my cheek.


1 comment:

  1. So cute... Sweet little Nons will be bossing us all around in no time.

    ReplyDelete