Wednesday, November 25, 2009

She who cycles to work.



There is a woman who cycles to work. When I first passed her this summer several thoughts entered my mind:

1. They really make spandex that big?
2. They really make women that big?
3. If anyone should be cycling to work, it is her. Though it looks really painful. And awkward.

Keep in mind this is in an area of our country where pedaling to commute somewhere is practically unheard of. And, she happened to be cycling along the busiest road I travel from my home to work.

Yet she cycles.

I've seen her in the rain.

I've seen her go up hill. R-E-A-L-L-Y slowly.

I've seen her with flashing lights strapped to her back and ankles. Cycling home well after sunset.


Today I pulled up behind a cyclist on my way into work. She looked like a real bicycle commuter. Fit, fast, and confident. And one thought entered my mind:

1. Wow, other women cycle to work too.

And then I realized that it was the same woman as the one I'd seen for several months.

Only she was a smaller version of her old self.

I became really proud for her. And thankful to have watched her succeed.

And I wanted to shout out my window: YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!!!

But she pulled ahead at the green light, and cycled under the Merritt Parkway.

And she didn't look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment