Sunday, November 1, 2009

Stuck Heads & A Moment of Genius


For some reason, we have lots of clothes that are 3/4 zip down the front. Pullover. Generous zipper. And for most kids, it shouldn't be a problem to get the clothing off and on. But for my children.... oh boy. The minute an item comes remotely close to their chin, they start wiggling, head bobbing, and thrashing about to make the actual "painless" motion of lifting the clothing over their head - really hard and really painful.

Dec cringes at certain pieces of clothing and even refused to wear them for a few weeks. It got to the point where prying them over his enormous noggin' just wasn't worth the pain and tears so I agreed. We moved those items to the top shelf. To collect dust.

But then, a moment of pure genius struck me. Why not face the zipper toward the back during the getting dressed/undressed process. This way, it won't even be near the chin, face or other sensitive areas. Then, when it is safely on, spin the clothing around and proceed from there.

After a ton of pleading, I tried my new strategy on Dec.

It worked.

No tears, no scratched chin, face, forehead. Smoothe as butter.

And I only write about this because:

On Friday when I picked Dec up from school, his teacher pulled me aside and said that she raised 3 children and has been dealing with the stuck head situation for many years as a teacher and never once thought to spin the clothing around. (Apparently Dec coached her on the technique that day....). Then, get this. She said I was a *genius*.

And I believe her.

No comments:

Post a Comment