Saturday, March 20, 2010

Being Home


We spent the entire day at home. It was grand. Being at home today and doing home things reminds me of so many things about growing up. And so many things about being in my OWN home for 2 years.
I was thinking today about the day I moved into this house and called the police department (non-emergent line) 3 times.

Yes, 3.

In one day.

But they were all for non-emergent issues that needed someone's attention besides mine. First, our POD was delivered. As the large truck pulled out of the driveway I saw one of the low hanging lines fall to the driveway, severed. When I eyeballed the to and fro of the line, I realized that it was not mine, but my neighbors. HERE WE ARE, WELCOME TO THE HOOD AND BY THE WAY YOU HAVE NO POWER. Ring, ring. Policeman? Can you come see if this is a power line, or something else not so urgent. (Result, not so urgent, quick call to AT&T and a bottle of wine to the neighbors and problem solved).

Later that evening, the first one in our home, our first HOUSE, ever. And the old, deaf, blind dog needs to go out on last time. And I am 6 months pregnant, and the rain is TORRENTIAL. And he goes, off. Walking off. Into the night. And he doesn't know this new area and I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE WE ARE EITHER. And an hour goes by.
Ring, ring. Policeman? My dog is lost. And he is old. Just FYI.
Another hour, driving, Bri driving me yelling RAY, RAY. And there he is in someone's yard sniffing something, not seeing and not hearing anything.
Ring, ring. Policeman? I found my dog, call off the search team. Thanks.

It was a fun day at home. Tonight I policed the yard. And I whipped up a quick batch of brownies. (Because those are some other things I learned from growing up, how to police the yard and to ALWAYS have the ingredients for brownies in the house. Oh, and did I forget to tell you that each time I called the police, I also called my parents? I mean, I called my parents FIRST, and they told me what to do.)

I love being home.


No comments:

Post a Comment