Friday, March 12, 2010

comfort foods that "hit the spot"



So. I'm trying (hard) not to be the ultimate complainer but today was another tough day. Made more difficult by the fact that I haven't gotten to the grocery store this week. Ummmmm, what to serve two kids who don't have an appetite?

Nothing?

Great, I have plenty of that.

A morning of low-key laughter, peaceful playing, and mostly mello -moods morphed into a "Oh my goodness, it is 1:45pm and we have to be at Nonie's doctor's appointment in an hour. What do I feed you guys and how do I do it and bathe you both in less than forty minutes?"

Turns out I happened to have the fixins' for a meal my two children have grown to love:

Good ol' quesadillas and refried beans.

I whipped up a batch hoping all the while that this would be the meal that would lure my two kids out of their fasting regime.

As Dec licked his fingers and lips at the end of his meal he turned to me and said that his quesadillas and beans: "really hit me in the spot!" (to most that would be: really "hit the spot")

I love this comment more now than I did 8 hours ago when he first said it - though, I confess, I really loved it a lot then, too.

Dec, we discovered at Nonie's appointment late this afternoon, has pneumonia too. So he (most likely) feels just as bad as she does but still made an effort to make me feel like a champ today. Tired old, weary old, bags under my eyes old .... me - feel like a champ. And it totally worked.

Miss Nonie Girl didn't touch her quesadillas or her beans at lunch. When given the option by her pediatrician to admit her this evening to the hospital or give her a potent shot of antibiotics in her butt to jump start the healing and to raise her oxygen levels - we chose the shot. She sleeps now up in her crib next to her coughing big bro. Ahhh the coughing.

Tomorrow, we head back to the docs. And tomorrow I hope to really hit both of my kids "in the spot" with a meal they both savor - we shall see if my plan works.

No comments:

Post a Comment