Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fill me up

I am not a mother like you are.
(Have I said this before?)
I have no human baby.
I am not stashing away my pennies for college tuition.

But my boy gave me a hug tonight.
A real hug the best way he knows how.
And my heart melted.

He often slaps his paw onto my shoulder
or across my legs.
A possessive teenager. Hey ma.

Oh but tonight, he gave me the hug
of a little boy in love with his mom.
Before he knows that other girls exist.

He put his arm over mine
and his cheek next to mine
and I sat there wishing that someone would come catch us in our hug.

In that moment I felt like he was telling me
he will never get sick again,
or tinkle on the couch.
That he will never run away from us
or hurt another dog.

Of course the moment passed.
Something caught his attention,
and as quickly as he was entwined around me
off he went.

I am not a mother like you are,
but at the end of the day
a hug is a hug.

And his love fills me up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment