Sunday, September 19, 2010

Your Name Means Honor


Tomorrow you are TWO.
Two and terrific.
(Not two and terrible.)

Lately you've gone around the house wearing your underpants as your hat.
You pile them on your head and then point to the pants and say:

Nonie's hat.

Did your uncle Chris teach you that?
He was the underpants hat trick expert.


I'd write more to you tonight sweetheart, but I'm just not feeling up to it.
Remember yesterday when we took you to the Bronx Zoo for your birthday.
Then we dined along Arthur Avenue checking out the sites? Fun huh?
Then, remember when you threw up all over me, my hair, and my jean jacket.
Remember throwing up on Mommy just as the waitress walked over with our tray full of dinner?

I remember it.
And now I'm the one throwing up.
On the eve of your 2nd bday, I'm sick as a dog.

But Nonie.

Your name means Honor.

And, since the day you were born, since hearing the first words of the doctor when she saw your tiny body "it's a girl", and since the tears flowed down my cheeks as I held you in my disbelieving arms for the first time...

It has been an Honor to be your Mother.

(Except when you throw up on me).


To my sweet blue-eyed girl on the eve of her terrific Twos!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I have to...

No comments:

Post a Comment