Friday, September 24, 2010

When Daddy Comes Home We All Become Show-Offs.


I've noticed something.

When Daddy comes home we all show off.

Big time.

Dec hoots and hollers, grabs library books to read, and jumps about with lightening speed.

Nonie says, "my daddy, my daddy, my daddy" over and over and over again.

She follows him up to his closet and shows him where to put his shoes.

All the while Dec leaps about trying to squeeze into his frame.

"My Daddy."

Leap. Leap. Leap.

"My Daddy."

Leap!

"Look Daddy - Mommy (the show-off) made cookies for you. Taste one!"

And Daddy? Oh, he moves about, trying his best to put his things down and sort through the closet to find the coziest clothing he can find. He weaves around the kids. He is clearly happy to be here...

He smiles.

He tells them he's missed them.

He really listens when they tell him things about their day.

Like, really listens.

He'll sit down. Look them in the eye.

He'll respond to every 1/2 sentence and stumbled word with his heartfelt "oh really" and "tell me more".

And they eat it all up.

Nonie will perch high on Daddy's lap and savor the moment with a big cheeky grin.

Dec? He'll wrap his tiny arms around Daddy's neck and smooch him again and again on his face.


When Daddy comes home we all become show-offs.

Because our day is suddenly sweeter . And completer.

No comments:

Post a Comment