Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mama Panda and the Family Joy.


To my sister The Family Joy
on her birthday.

We call you The Family Joy
Because you are.

And without you, I guess we'd be
The joy-less family.

And without you, we'd not have the role model
The doting big sister, the number one fan.

The support system we've all become so used to
and, frankly, so dependent on.

Nor would we have someone always suggesting that
We stand as a group and sing songs "sound of music style".

Or someone who likes to wear 8 pairs of wading shorts to the beach
and then beg anyone who passes to take her picture with the secret service in the background.

(But alas, those are different stories for a different day.)

More than anything else
You've taught me to laugh and find joy in the littlest of things
(oh and that I should always shave my armpits on my wedding day).

Oh and by the way, you are the glue that holds so many fascinating groups of people together.
You are a natural leader and motivator.
So respected in your community and vast circles of friends - hence the picky above.....
Remember that afternoon of JOY? I do.

I love that about you. You are mayor-like. (Is that a compliment to you?
It was written as a compliment.)

And you have showed me in your incredibly motherly ways.
That a mother's work is never quite done.

That's why I thought you'd enjoy this video.

Just when you let your guard down
Your wee one keeps you on your toes.

And yet, we seem to enJOY these moments.
And feel lucky to be blessed with them.

(I do want to point out that Mama Panda returns to her biscuit consumption quite quickly.
She ain't no fool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment