Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Right here, actually.

For some reason or other, I have had a million things on my mind lately.
After a 12 hour day, I came home and cut out construction paper pumpkins for 30 minutes. Then I cut out orange strips. Tomorrow, we'll make pumpkins.
Then I stewed for a few minutes about the parent-teacher (+principal for backup) meeting I had today. I thought I should write my principal an email about the thing I was stewing about before I forgot what it is that had me stewing so hard. But I figured if it was bad enough to stew on I would remember it and if I didn't in the morning then one less gray hair for me.
Then I looked at the pooch. He had been slapping me (he's a slapper) with his big hairy paws all night. I had pushed him away. Because even though he was by himself for 11 hours, I had pumpkins to cut, and stew to make.
On my way to the computer I decided to give Drake a minute of my time. So kind, I know. I laid down on his bed, and he snuggled right into me. I am often the one to break these moments. Got to keep moving, got to do this. Oh, and that. But tonight, he put his paws up on my side, and his chin down. And I thought of a question I ask my students all day long... "Where should you be right now?" As in, not inside your locker, or walking backwards down the hallway, or getting a drink without asking.
And I imagined someone asking me that question.

And I took a deep breath.
And Drake snuggled in.
And I knew.
Right here.
Actually.
I'm exactly where I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment