Friday, October 1, 2010

The Tree. And My Baby Who Will Always Be.

Despite the heavy rain and strong wind of late, this morning my Baby Tree looked healthy, happy even.

I checked on her as I do most every morning. Sometimes I don't even venture outside.
My wondering eyes peer at her through the front window. Does she know I love her?

Other times we do rock painting, bug catching, worm racing - right in her very shade.
I thinks she likes these days the most. I know I do. Can she feel me thinking about her?

It was three years ago I selected and planted Baby Tree. Just there up in front, by the white picket fence. She deserved one of the most prominent spots I could find in the yard.

It was three more days after her roots hit the soil that I went back to the nursery in pursuit of the perfect Mother Tree to stand guard in the garden behind her. When Mother Tree was in her place with ample water and plenty of soil steadying her, the ache that had hijacked my heart -my world really, finally subsided to the point where I could inhale.

Inhale. Deeply.

Though three years have gone by, I still wonder.
Every day I wonder.
Oh! How I wonder....

Though three years have gone by, I hurt.
Who would have guessed it would still hurt?
The ache fills my heart as I type....

Inhale. Deeply.

And, though three years have gone by, I still love.
My heart overflows with love -
For the baby I never got a chance to see -
- my baby who will always be.


Maireann croí éadrom i bhfad.

No comments:

Post a Comment