Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rules and why I sometimes don't follow them



I'm no dummy. I know rules are important.
In fact, until very recently I considered myself a rule-follower.
You know the type. Sitting in the front row, eyes on the teacher, bringing your homework in early with some extra credit project just 'cuz you felt like it.
Then when I told Eric I was a rule-follower just last week he rolled his eyes at me.
Rolled them!
Because we had just taken Drake for a walk on the ski trails and blew by a "Warning: No Tresspassing" sign. Well, in all honesty he paused and said "Should we go? It says no trespassing" and I said "When did you turn into such a wimp" and THEN blew by.
Besides that sign wasn't for us.

And things like, alright I know it's some sort of law not to talk on your phone and drive according to Oprah but who gets cell service at their house anymore? So if I need to make a call I'm going to make a call and put the phone in my lap if I'm passing a cop.
Besides I'm a really good driver. And I bet Oprah doesn't even have a license.

Don't worry.
I'm going to return my library books and pay my bills.
But don't try to tell me that eating raw cookie dough is going to give me salmonella and think that is going to stop me.

Because, as I have come to find out, a rule-follower I am not (always).

I think about rules'n'stuff when I turn around in other people's driveways,
because that is something that Granny Eileen told Aunt Eileen to never do.
And so, she doesn't.
She'll drive miles and miles to find a different place to pull a u-ey.
Me? I'll check their mail and honk hello as I 3-point it the other way.
I remember mom telling me this about the time she told me that you shouldn't pull off an exit for gas unless you can see the gas station.
I'll let Emah share what happens when you break this rule at 9pm in Sketchy, Virginia with the gas light on.

Hm, Mom also told us to make an M with our arms when we saw the McDonald's arches.
And that soft toilet paper clogs the toilet.

Maybe some rules really WERE meant to be broken. Just not all at once?
I'll think twice next time I toot my own horn only to have eyes rolled at me.
Rolled!
Besides, now I have a stomachache.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, some of the rules are good ones.
    Hmmmmm. . . Which ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a cookie and a lick. In that order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY would never buy soft tp for this reason. And I agree with the Eileens. Rude. Just Rude

    ReplyDelete